How Old Do You Have To Be To Vape In New Zealand?
How Old Do You Have To Be To Vape in New Zealand?
You must be aged 18 and over in order to legally buy vaping hardware and equipment in New Zealand. Unlike the United Kingdom, this age restriction extends to the use of vapes and e-cigarettes, forbidding anybody under the age of 18 from consuming these products.
Developed with the recovery of smokers in mind, e-cigarettes and vapes are intended as a tool for helping people overcome smoking habits. With all the benefits without harmful tobacco, e-cigarettes have been leading the charge as a smoking replacement method. In New Zealand, there was a 5.5% decrease in regular smokers from 2007 to 2018.
Vaping Amendment Bill
Following relentless advocation from government workers and private citizens, New Zealand’s parliament proposed a new bill at the beginning of 2020, with the intention of creating a smoke-free 2025.
Under this new bill would come a great deal of restriction to the production, sale and advertising of vaping products. Utilising strategies from other countries, and policies of their own design, New Zealand is set to see some major changes. Some examples of these regulations are provided below.
- A complete ban on the sale and purchase of vaping products for those aged 18 and under.
- A restriction on rewards systems, as they pertain to vaping hardware and e-liquids, which includes loyalty discounts and free samples. However, specialist vaping stores are exempt from a great deal of these limitations.
- The advertisement of vapes, e-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco will see a complete ban.
- Limited flavours will be available at non-specialist stores, restricting vape users to three options; tobacco, mint and menthol. A more extensive range will still be available for purchase at specialist vaping stores.
- E-liquids and vapes cannot be sold under the pretense of ‘therapeutic’ or ‘medicinal’ relief.
The New Zealand government did attempt to put a complete ban on all flavours (excluding the three previously mentioned). The rationale was that placing limitations on the popular ‘fruity’ flavours would see an eventual decline in those taking up vaping with ill intent and discourage youths from illegally obtaining e-liquids.
Protecting the Youth
New Zealand has taken big steps forward to protect their youth from vaping. The introduction of new restrictions has been done in the name of a single mission, to halt vaping’s progression into a lifestyle choice. That’s not to say that the country’s leadership wishes to suffocate vaping altogether. Numerous statements have been made acknowledging vaping as a healthier alternative to smoking.e.
Nevertheless, the fear of spikes in illegal vaping by minors, has led to the decision to further regulate the industry.. All in all, the New Zealand government has been fair-minded, acting only to benefit the health of their citizens and as a company PodVapes strongly supports the New Zealand government on its agenda.